If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (757) 397-3770

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Uncommon Sources of Residential Fires

6/23/2020 (Permalink)

We all know the most likely causes of residential fires- cooking, faulty wiring, space heaters, etc. But there are other sources, often overlooked, that contribute to house fires every year.

Dust can easily catch on fire when near heat sources like floor heaters & electrical outlets. Dusting on a regular basis can prevent a fire in your home. Laptops are another source of residential fires. They should never be kept on soft surfaces like your couch or your bed. They get very hot and therefore should be kept on a hard surface like your desk, and always turned off when not in use.

Batteries are a fire hazard because if their terminals come in contact with each other, that can cause an explosion. Experts recommend putting electrical tape over the terminals before you dispose of them and storing your batteries in a safe container.

Animals are another source of annual residential fires. Pets have been known to knock over candles, and even turn on the stove. Non-pets such as mice, squirrels and rats can chew through your electrical wires and cause a fire.

If you experience damage due to a fire at your residence, call SERVPRO of Portsmouth at 757-397-3770. We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and will do our part to help make your fire damage feel “Like it never even happened.”

Other News

View Recent Posts