Common Causes of Electrical Fires
There is an average of 24,000 residential electrical fires in the United States every year. Many of them are caused by faulty outlets and appliances. Check your appliances to make sure the cords aren’t frayed or torn. Never run a cord under your carpet or rugs.
Light fixtures are another common cause of residential electrical fires. Do not exceed the maximum recommended wattage when installing light bulbs. And never place anything flammable on top of lamp shades (paper, cloth, etc.)
Space heaters are highly dangerous and are often the cause of residential electrical fires. If you must use one, never leave it running while you are not home or asleep. Keep them away from anything flammable such as clothing or curtains. And always keep them unplugged when not in use.
Make sure the wiring in your home is up to date. If your home is over 20 years old, there is a good chance the wiring is outdated and won’t be able to keep up with the electrical appliances you use in your home.
If you have a fire at your home, call us at SERVPRO of Portsmouth at 757-397-3770. We are happy to provide a free estimate for clean- up and repair services to help make the fire damage feel “Like it never even happened.”