Preventing Fires at your Residence
At SERVPRO of Portsmouth, we are all too familiar with the devastation and destruction a fire can cause at your residence. It only takes minutes to have everything taken away from you and your family. Fortunately, there are precautions you can take to prevent house fires.
Most importantly, having smoke alarms. Smoke alarms are proven to double the chances of your family surviving a house fire. Be sure to test them once a month to make sure they are working properly. It is also important to change their batteries every 6 months.
Most residential fires begin in the kitchen on the stovetop. Never leave your kitchen unattended while cooking. Make sure there is nothing flammable close to your burners (paper towels, curtains, napkins, etc.) Never throw water on a grease fire as that will aggravate it. Instead use a lid to suffocate the flames. Make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy to your kitchen.
Never leave candles or fires burning in your home unattended. Do not plug in more than one heating appliance (ex: space heaters) into the same outlet. Check your electrical outlets for signs of wear & tear. Unplug your electronics when they are not in use. Keep your TV’s & Computers away from anything flammable as they tend to overheat.
If you experience a fire at your residence, call the professionals at SERVPRO of Portsmouth at 757-397-3770. We promise to do everything we can to ease your mind and get you and your family back into your home as quickly as possible, making fire damage feel “Like it never even happened.”