Summer is Here and it's Time to Grill but Be Careful
“Three out of five households own a gas grill” (NFPA); that’s a lot of burgers and hot dogs. Unfortunately, about 8,800 home fires occur each year as a result of gas grills. That's a lot of hot dogs, hamburgers, steaks and chicken.
- Always grill outside, and keep the grill well away from the house, deck railings, overhanging branches and all furniture.
- At the start of grilling season, check your propane tank hose for leaks.
- The NFPA suggests applying a light soap and water solution to the hose. Turn on the propane. A propane leak will release bubbles. If there are bubbles, turn the propane off immediately. If the leak stops, meaning you no longer smell propane after the gas is shut off, then have your grill serviced by a professional before using it.
- If the leak does not stop, meaning you can still smell propane after turning off the gas, call the fire department and do not touch or attempt to move the grill.
- Never use charcoal lighter fluid to try to start a stubborn gas grill. Ever.
- Clean your grill trays regularly. Make this part of your summer weekend cleaning routine. The less greasy substance on or around your grill, the better.
- Keep pets and children away from the grill. Most know to keep children away, but a rambunctious pet can knock over a grill and cause tremendous damage. Keep both your pet and your home safe simultaneously by keeping pets inside until the cooking is done.
- If you smell gas while cooking, immediately move away from the grill and call the fire department. Do not touch the grill.
- If the flame goes out while cooking, turn both the grill and gas off and wait 15 minutes before relighting.
- Never use gasoline on any grill. Fires caused by gasoline are major sources of burns in the United States.
- If you are burned while grilling, remove clothing and accessories from the burn site, run cold water over the injury to cool the skin, and call 911.
And if you unfortunately do have a fire, call SERVPRO of Portsmouth at 757-397-3770 and we can assist with your restoration needs. Have a SAFE and FUN Summer.